Saturday, May 24, 2008

Packing with the a/c on the fritz

My a/c decided to quit on us yesterday.  It's freezing on the coils and no air is coming through the vents.  This at the beginning of summer, over Memorial Day weekend in Florida, is not a joke.  It's nowhere near being funny.  Gosh, it's so hot, you'd think I was crying, but it's sweat pouring out my eyes! Ok seriously, it's terrible.  To add insult to injury, I don't know what to do or who to call, because my apartment converted to condo couple years back, and the lady who bought my unit, (hence my landlady) is out of the picture, living in Arizona or who knows where.  She stopped paying the mortgage three months after purchasing it, and now the unit is in foreclosure.  I have to wait till Tuesday to call the property management office, but I'm guessing they will not be fixing this.   I only found out about the foreclosure thing like a couple of weeks ago, when I got served the initial papers.  Oh and did I mention that she will not return our calls?  Of course she was only too happy to cash our rent checks!

So, my dilemma is, do I pay for the a/c to be repaired, knowing that my time here is short, or somehow cajole the property management office to fix the unit, which may not take place.  Ok, just writing this is helping me make up my mind.  I will pay to have it repaired - if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg - did I mention I am unemployed and seriously can't find a job in Orlando? Arggghhhhhh.

Which brings me to my next point. I am trying to pack up our stuff - it's amazing the number of things one collects during their lifetime.  It doesn't seem like much, but once you start packing, the up, the down, the hidden things. the multitude of things, OMG - it's never ending.  

It's sooooo hot.  I just took a really cold shower, and know that my bones are going to pay for it in the morning. I have fans in all the rooms going, the windows open and most of the lights and electronics off - will it help? I hope so!

No comments: