Sunday, December 13, 2009

Going to Gaza

I really thought that I would be planning a lovely Christmas at home, might even have a party or something, yet I find myself embarking on a journey that's destined to change my life.  Right around July/August I started taking an interest in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Through Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and a host of other sites and individuals I've become rather knowledgeable about the situation in that part of the world. I've met some wonderful people from all over the world, and we all share a common interest - Freeing Palestine and Gaza from Israeli Occupation.

The state of Israel is holding the Gaza Strip under siege, nothing allowed in or out, and after Operation Cast Lead last December, the Gaza Strip is in ruins.  Peoples homes and livelihoods have been taken away, demolished, without food and water, medical aid, building supplies, and quite a large percentage live in refugee camps. Imagine living in a tent during the winter.  It is inhumane!

So I find myself participating in the Gaza Freedom March (gazafreedommarch.org).  I will be leaving for Egypt on Christmas Eve, arriving Christmas Day. Never in a million years would I have thought to be participating in something so monumental. There are over 1300 people from around the world planning to participate in the march, plus about 50,000 Gazans.  We expect solidarity marches to occur in Israel, the West Bank, in the US, and other countries.

I am remiss in not blogging about this sooner,  but I plan to correct this situation asap. I look forward to going to Egypt and Gaza. I've met a lot of great people and I'm sure to meet more.  My roomie in Egypt runs the website PolitcalTheatrics.net - and she's brilliant! I say give it a read. One of the other attendees on the march is one of the co-founders of Electronic Intifada.  Another brilliant website.   The organization I'm going with, CodePink - Women for Peace, is a phenomenal organization, please show your support.

The march committee is still accepting donations for the march to purchase school supplies for the children of Gaza. Please check out gazafreedommarch.org for ways to help, stand in solidarity or for more information.  Will keep updating.

1 comment:

Moonstar Silverwolf said...

You and every one of the people you will be joining make me proud to say I know you. My only regret is that I will not be joining you in person but only in spirit.

Go, make a difference, show them love & come home safe.

With love and support, I will be watching and helping from here.